Saturday, February 20, 2010

AS GOOD AS IT GETS










Hey Nashvillians and Carolinians!
Harris Teeter has Crab Legs on sale for $2.99 a pound! Geraldo stopped at the Brentwood Harris Teeter (LOVE that store) and picked up a big bag for 17.00 bucks that was marked down from $38.00 ($6.99 a LB)! Crab shells will be flying tonight at The Schmidt House. (Yes, I know how that sounds!)
Now, I'm not a person who sits down and eats a lot of any meal at any one sitting. I'm usually pretty tired of what makes it to the table if I've been the one doin' the cooking. I am one of the Quality Engineers in The Schmidt Kitchen (yes, I know how that sounds, too!) along with Geraldo, so there's been lots of tasting going on before the final dish hits the table. So I'm a little tired of it, quite frankly. You could say that dinner and I have been pretty intimate up to that point. I eat a little with everyone, but I'm usually up and down and up and down. But, believe me...I make trips back! I didn't get this way doing aerobics at the dinner table. But, like I've said a dozen times before...give me a table laden with appetizers and finger foods and I am one happy grazer. That's by far my favorite way to eat. A taste of everything and not a lot of any one thing. "Variety they say is the is The Spice Of Life......" Oh please... that was a cheap shot.
The one exception? Well now, I can park myself at a table and put away some crab legs. We used to go out to a favorite sports bar (slash) "all-you-can-eat" crab leg joint and this way before seafood was bastardized at those International Buffets (ugh!) Geraldo would say he'd just take a book. I do indeed take my time with the sweet crustaceans and there's been occasions when we prolly could have used a co-signer!
Crab legs? I like mine simple and often.
Here's a couple of easy ways to cook 'em....

Crab Legs

To boil crab legs, simply fill a large stock pot half full of cold water and bring to a boil. Add a tablespoon of salt and the seasoning of your choice, if any. I usually quarter a lemon and add some Old Bay or Zatarain's Crab Boil to the water. When the water begins to boil add the crab legs and reduce the heat to medium. Allow them to simmer for about six minutes. Take the crab legs out of the water, drain and they are ready to eat. I don't rinse mine, cause I like the seasoning on the shells.
TIP: If you prefer to steam them, use a wide, deep pan and just a couple of inches of water, which can be seasoned, like suggested above. Bring the water to a rapid boil, put the crab legs in a colander in the water or just drop them in...reduce to a medium simmer, cover and let them steam for about 10minutes. You can also grill them, but that deserves it's own post. There's lot of ice cold beer involved with that method and I'm not talking about on the crab.
Melt some butter in the microwave, grab some dish towels and make some elbow room at the table. Lemon wedges on the side and hush anyone who bemoans the fact that you have to "work too hard" to eat them. Sissies. Those are the usually the folks who never cook....ever! Food folks know you gotta put some love and a little effort into anything that comes out delicious! Get to crackin'! And always.....Comfort and Joy!
COMFORTCOOK
"At Home On The Range Catering"
615-525-8336




No comments:

GOODNESS GRACIOUS!

GOODNESS GRACIOUS!
Does it get better than this?

BARBEQUE SHRIMP

BARBEQUE SHRIMP
NEW ORLEANS STYLE!!

GREEN GOODNESS

GREEN GOODNESS
Ya gotta make you some of these!

SCHLURRRRP!

SCHLURRRRP!
Grilling Burgers? 10 Great Recipes

TENNESSEE TEXAS CAVIAR

TENNESSEE TEXAS CAVIAR
This is Soooo good!!

CUBAN MOJO CHICKEN

CUBAN MOJO CHICKEN
Light, And Flavorful!!

BAR- B -CUED PORK...SCHLURP!!!

BAR- B -CUED PORK...SCHLURP!!!
GREAT TASTING PORK STEAKS!

CRAB CAKES

CRAB CAKES
Wolfgang Puck's Great Recipe Here

FRESH FISH

FRESH FISH
Delicious, Fresh Orange Roughy Recipes

STEAK, STEAK, STEAK

STEAK, STEAK, STEAK

Labels

BlogCatalog

home Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

SCHLURP!!!!

SCHLURP!!!!